Mount Arrowsmith Rhododendron Society
Our Regular Monthly Meetings are held at 7:30 pm at the Qualicum Beach Civic Centre.
Next Meeting: Our next regular meeting will be November 8, 2017
Speaker: Mars Members
Subject: Propagation Workshop
Fellow Marsians will guide us through the process of preparing and striking cuttings.
Please bring cuttings of
• Other hardy Perennials and Shrubs
Propagation of rhododendrons and other plants is tons of fun and very satisfying. Your Executive has organized an evening of propagation – not just rhododendrons – but other plants as well!
Here is some valuable information to keep in mind while selecting cuttings from your garden:
• Smaller-leaved rhododendrons are easier to root, including hybrids of augustinii,
• Other perennials to propagate: hydrangeas, fuchsias, begonias, rosemary
• Stems should be smaller than a pencil in diameter
• Stems with just a leaf bud are best, but those with flower buds can be used once the bud is removed
• Take long cuttings to be trimmed back. Be sure there is greenish, new growth; hard
woody stems are difficult to propagate
• Take cuttings just a day or two before propagation day
• Store in a plastic bag with wet paper towel
• Use one plastic bag per variety and please label your bag with name of plant or rhododendron, and your name
What to bring besides your cuttings:
• A very sharp knife, ie razor blade, box cutters
• Secateurs for preliminary cuts
• Clean 4” pots if you have them
We will provide:
• Growing medium
• Plastic bags, sticks and elastic bands to keep in the moisture; enough for 10 cuttings each
Bring 10 cuttings for yourself and more to trade with others if desired.
For Details of Speakers at upcoming meetings, please click on “Coming Events” above